Re: RXVT Problem with buffering of application output.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:48:40AM -0500, Fletcher, Bob (GEAE, IT) wrote:

>A Few weeks ago ayamico at yahoo dot com posted a question about RXVT.  I
>haven't seen any response and was wondering if anyone else is having/looking at
>this problem.
>
>The previous message is:
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00524.html 2003-03-07, 4989 bytes
>
>When we run some commertial, native windows applications, we don't get
>prompts written to standard out until the application ends.

That's because cygwin's ptys are actually pipes.  The native app doesn't
know that this particular pipe is actually a pty (although a cygwin app
would of course) and buffers its output as if the application was not
being run interactively.  The only alternative is to change the native
app's buffering.

cgf