Re: agetty problem win Win95 - BUG?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, you (whoever you are) wrote:

> Is there a known problem with Win9x serial io?
>
> I built a new Win98 machine and installed the latest version of Cygwin on
> it.  The problem described below occurs on Win98 also.  I don't think this
> is an agetty problem.  It just shows up when agetty is used.
>
> Is anyone using agetty with Win9x?
>
> "BB" <canofspam at att dot net> wrote in message news:b55vp0$b9q$1 at main dot gmane dot org dot  dot  dot
> > I was having a problem using agetty on Win95 with a modem.  I tried with a
> > null modem cable.  The same problem occurs. Could there be a problem with
> > the icanon stty option on Win95?  This works fine running agetty on XP. Is
> > there any documentation of Cygwin's limitations on Win9x platforms?
> >
> > On Win95 I run "agetty -8 -N -1 -a 38400 ttys1".
> >
> > When I connect from WinXP, my input is echoed every second character. Line
> > terminating line feeds are processed only if they are the second of a pair
> > of characters. The stty -a output looks ok,
> >
> > $ stty -a
> > speed 38400 baud; rows 24; columns 80; line = 0; intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase
> > = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop =
> > ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1;
> > time = 0; -parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts -ignbrk
> > brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc
> > ixany imaxbel opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0
> > tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 isig icanon iexten echo
> > echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop echoctl echoke

BB,

The lack of responses to your previous messages indicates that there is
noone else (reading this list) that has this problem or is interested in
debugging it.  This usually means that you'll have to debug this yourself
(sponsoring a developer who would debug it for you has also been
suggested; I'm sure if you offer, interested parties will show up). ;-)

As a suggestion, you could start with comparing the outputs of "strace
agetty" on all the relevant machines to see if you notice any glaring
differences.  There might also be a difference in the versions of Windows
DLLs (IIRC, some of the networking DLLs don't come standard with Win95, so
you have whatever was packaged with programs/service packs), so you might
explore downloading the correct versions from Microsoft.  Those are just
WAGs, BTW, but they should be enough to at least get you started.

If all else fails, there's always the source...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune