Re: >/dev/stderr broken in /bin/sh?, makewhatis unhappy, & apropos confused, or just me?

Linda,

What version of Cygwin are you running? Under this one:

% uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 Clemens 1.3.20(0.73/3/2) 2003-02-08 12:10 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

your examples work fine. Likewise, makewhatis does it's thing, with or without the -v option.

As to the /cygdrive/c/Documents bit, what does your MANPATH look like? Does it include "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/"?

I have problems with apropos whenever procps is included. A look at the man page source for that program suggests a possible reason:

% head -23 /usr/man/man1/procps.1
.\" Man page for ps.
.\" Quick hack conversion by Albert Cahalan, 1998.
.\" Licensed under version 2 of the Gnu General Public License.
.\"
.\" This man page is a horrid hack because *roff sucks.
.\" The whole system is way obsolete. The internal header
.\" stuff must die, and will when I figure out how to kill it.
.\" I've already killed the wasteful left margin and screwy
.\" old perfect justification. Gross! You'd think someone
.\" invented this crap in 1973. Oh yeah, they did. Sorry.
.\"
.TH PS 1 "July 5, 1998" "Linux" "Linux User's Manual"
.SH \fRNAME\fR
ps \- report process status
.ad r
.na