Re: rpm-4.1 successful compile on Cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> There's been sporadic interest in rpm, so I thought someone might
>> find this useful:
>>
>> I've recently succeeded in persuading rpm-4.1 to compile under
>> Cygwin.
>> It was more troublesome than rpm-4.0.4, as it makes some assumptions
>> about the system, and doesn't bother to use configure tests to make
>> sure.
>
> [snip]
>
>> I'm rather unsure about one particular bit of code: is writing to the
>> environ pointer legal?
>
> system dependent.  Dunno about whether it's legal on cygwin; I doubt
> it.
>

> I thought that rpm-4.x required Berkeley db-4.x -- which has not yet
> been officially added to the cygwin distro.  AFAIK, we have db2 and
> db3, but not db4.  How did you satisfy that dependency?

RPM includes a copy of Berkerly DB in its source tarball, and will build
with the internal db unless explicitly told to try using the system db.

In fact, I'm not sure if that mode would work at all, since configure.ac
makes extensive mention of db3, but no mention of db4. (The db4 in rpm is
actually configured in a directory called db3 - weird!).

Max.