Re: setup.exe is too small

Pavel Tsekov wrote:

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, DH wrote:

For the love of open source, is the setup.exe dialog listing the packages ever going to get bigger?

I've searched the mailing list and people complained about this before.

What is the hold up? (3 months back I got so frustrated by this I swore off cygwin up until today)

People requesting this functionality stick only to complaining and not actually implementing it.

Probably shooting myself in the foot....

Perhaps we should introduce a saying that I heard in another news group (yes I use news to access this mail list) namely "If you are unsatisfied with the software as it is then I suggest you take it back for a refund!" ;-)

However in the defense of the others, there are many reasons why, IMHO, the Open Source attitude of "Fix it yourself" just doesn't work for many, many people using Open Source software. And the key word there is "using" in that they are not interested nor perhaps have the time or knowledge to build/fix/patch Open Source stuff rather they are just consumers of the end result (The Open Source model loses sight of the fact that there are people who just want to be consumers - IOW it's not a commercial model thus is having difficulty being accepted in the commercial marketplace).

Hell if I had the time (that is enough copious free time - which I don't) and the knowledge (haven't programmed in C++ in years, nor have I written Windows applications) then I would take this and fix it myself!

To the "Frequent Patchers/Implementors" here you have yet another advantage in that some of you already have your heads wrapped around the various concepts that Cygwin implements (I've looked briefly at the packaging concept, the bz tar images, setup log, dependencies, etc and it would take me a while to get the concepts in my head). So you guys are at a distinct advantage to many of the "Cygwin consumers".

I'm certain that if I took some time I could do it but I don't have the time to do it. IOW it would take me perhaps months to do because the added time to get to know all the stuff I'd need to know before actually coding anything of the fix. Whereas people who have already worked on setup.exe would not have such start up costs and could implement this in weeks if not days.

It's amazing to me how people can't see this!

OK, flame away...