Re: setup.exe: something besides C++?

Robert Collins wrote:

So we:
Write a perl/tk installer in using activestate perl to be installed
using a self-extracting executable to allow the installation of cygwin.

Perhaps I'm pessimistic, but I can just see huge issues with 'your
installer downgraded my activestate install' and other similar problems.

You unzip everything into a temp directory and it all runs from there. No registry entries (or whatever a normal win32 perl install does), just files temporarily put into an install directory. We do this already where I work (which is why I mentioned it in the first place).

I may or may not try it -- time is also a concern for me.
--
Joe Buehler