1.3.20 and 1.3.19, can't compile || can't find /bin/sh

I am on a Win2K machine and did a basic install of cygwin + make + gcc.
When I attempt to compile a simple hello world program, I get the following:

$ make hello
gcc     hello.c   -o hello
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
make: *** [hello] Error 1

This was with 1.3.20.  I found that others had the same problem on the
mailing list archives, and one person mentioned that going back to
1.3.19 fixed the problem for him.

I removed my cygwin folder and the registry keys, and reinstalled the
same packages as before, but this time selecting cygwin 1.3.19 instead.

This time I was able to compile and run hello.c.  I then tried to
compile freetype-2.1.3 (a little more ambitious).  With 1.3.20, it went
through the configure step, but failed as soon as I tried to compile as
it seemed not to set some environment variables correctly.  I suspect
the configure step created incorrect files.  With 1.3.19, it fails in
the configure step with the following:

$ ./configure
cd builds/unix; ./configure
/bin/sh: not found
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
make: *** [unix-def.mk] Error 1

$ ls -l /bin/sh
----------+   1 hari     None         69632 Jul 31  2002 /bin/sh

$ ls -l /usr/bin/sh.exe
----------+   1 hari     None         69632 Jul 31  2002 /usr/bin/sh.exe

$ file /bin/sh
/bin/sh: can't read `/bin/sh' (No such file or directory).

I can execute /bin/sh from the command line.

Should the permissions on /bin/sh look like that?

I have uninstalled and re-installed cygwin several times, and the result
is always the same.

I have attached the output of cygcheck -s -v -r under each cygwin
installation.

Thanks for any advice.

Hari Nair