Re: Testsuite as a package (was: Re: Was that the sound of a snapshotgoing off?)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > > Please try the latest cygwin snapshot and report any problems or successes
> > > here.  The latest snapshot may be close to cygwin 1.3.21.
> > I would *love* to do that, but I have a WIBGI (Wouldn't It Be Great If
> > ...)
> >
> > WIBGI the testsuite for Cygwin (the one in the winsup subdirectory) would
> > be available as a separate package via Setup (under the experimental
> > packages, of course) That would make it a lot easier for us folks willing
> > to help to .. help! :)
> >
> > Any time you launch a "Please try the snapshot - it might become the next
> > version" I would be more than willing to run the testsuite against the
> > snapshot and report any regressions (and investigate them if need be).
> >
> > My problem is that I don't have (and can't get) a copyright assignment, so
> > I am restricted to trivial contributions - which is why I haven't made any
> > so far.
> >
> > To limit trafic to the mailing list, if you like this idea, I would
> > propose to add a list called cygwin-regressions at cygwin dot com for the
> > output of the testsuite - so this list doesn't get flooded with reports.
> >
> > Good idea? Bad idea?
> > rlc
>
> Ronald,
>
> A few points (in original message order):
> 2) The absense of copyright assignment does not prevent you from checking
>    out the winsup/tests directory (or, in fact, any cygwin cvs repository)
>    anonymously (<http://cygwin.com/cvs.html>).  There is no need for a
>    separate package...
There is no *need* for a separate package - but it would make life easier
for those who want to help regression testing.

> 3) I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the testsuite is
>    run after most commits, and regressions are noticed right away, so your
>    proposal would be kind of redundant.  Besides, the testsuite doesn't
>    catch everything, and most reports on the list were not related to the
>    testsuite, but to real world applications.
The testsuite can't possibly be run after every commit on all target
platforms. Red Hat may have a lot of resources, but I don't believe for a
moment that it they can run the testsuite on a couple of thousand machines
after every commit.

I never said it was a necessity - or even implied it. I said "wouldn't it
be great if" (or WIBGI for short). I think it would be a good idea to have
a separate testsuite that I can just install & run whenever a new snapshot
gets launched. I think it will be of help to signal regressions and I want
to be of help if I can. I *know* not having a license disclaimer does not
deprive me of CVS access - I also know that I don't want to have to
compile Cygwin every time I want to run the test suite - and the test
suite as is just happens to depend on new-cygwin1.dll (to test a
just-compiled Cygwin DLL).

> Mean enough? ;-)
I ain't crying yet, so no ;)

rlc