Re: Distributing .ISO files.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Robert Citek wrote:

> Hello Igor,
>
> At 06:42 PM 3/3/2003 -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Robert Citek wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> In fact, I would have two items:
> >>   1) How can I redistribute Cygwin?
> >>   2) How can I create an ISO to redistribute Cygwin (probably a pointer to
> >> a how-to).  If there was a wiki or blog for this, I would be happy to
> >> contribute how I create my ISOs.
> >
> >You could simply send those instructions to this mailing list...  The FAQ
> >entry could point to your message in the archives.
>
> True.  But I'm hoping that someone will read my instructions on the web,
> laugh at them (and maybe at me, too), and make them better right on the
> spot.  Wiki is great for this.  In the mean time, I will write them up and
> post to the list.

Any corrections will also be sent to the list and linked with your message
into a thread.  The result will be not just the correct instructions, but
also the whole change history.  Can wiki do that? ;-)

Speaking of ISOs, I hope they include source... <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#GPL>

> >You could also send a patch to the FAQ, of course.  The instructions for
> >getting Cygwin sources from CVS are at <http://cygwin.com/cvs.html>, and
> >the FAQ is in winsup/doc/faq.texinfo (and related files).
>
> I'm still getting my feet wet with the Cygwin sources, CVS, patch, etc.
> For example, I downloaded the setup module and compiled it.  Instead of a
> ~100 K file, mine was ~10 MB.  It seems to work, but obviously, I did
> something wrong.  Or is being off by 2 orders of magnitude "close enough?"

"man strip".  FYI, the stripped mingw-compiled setup.exe is just over 700k.

> >This is an open-source project.  It's much easier to get your changes
> >accepted here, especially if those changes are to the documentation (for
> >the better).  In fact, you could be awarded the honorable title of CTDW
> >(see <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CTDW>). ;-)
>
> Oooo.  I'll actually have a chance at being not just sexy but Ubersexy.
> Now that deserves some serious consideration.  :-)
>
> Regards,
> - Robert

Hey, it's working!  Great!  Gary, do you copy? ;-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune