Re: Dumper.exe problems

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:02:24PM -0500, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> > >Does dumper.exe work?
> > >
> > >I am unable to get the dumper utility to produce a core dump.
> > >I have read the FAQ, the webpages and searched the mailing lists.
> > >
> > >My cygwin.bat startup file contains the following:
> > >  set CYGWIN=error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.bat
> > >
> > >My dumper.bat file contains the following:
> > >  dumper.exe -d %1 %2 %3
> > >  pause
> >
> > If you do a "man dumper", you'll see the accepted way for using it.
> > There is no need to create a .bat file.
> >
> > I don't know if this will help or not but you might as well use the
> > tool the way the documentation recommends.
>
> Yes I tried it several ways including the direct call to dumper.exe.  I used
> the batch file just so I could pause the console window long enough to view
> the messages.  It looks like several other people are having the problem
> though and some aren't.
>
> I am using the latest binary distro on XP.  I've never DLed and rebuilt
> the packages from source.  Perhaps I should try that.
> Which package is dumper contained in?   I'd imagine it has some
> dependencies with other packages for which I'll need source?
>
> Thanks

Jon,

"dumper.exe" is part of the "cygwin" package:
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Fdumper.exe>

There were some problems in the past with rebuilding from source tarballs
(you'll need at least the w32api source package).  You might want to
search the list for build instructions.  Alternatively, you could build
from CVS and save yourself the headache (at the risk of getting a whole
different one, of course)... ;-)

OTOH, dumper.exe should not have too many dependences outside of its
directory, so this may be simpler than rebuilding the whole cygwin source
tree.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune