Re: sh crashes when executing msgfmt

Andreas,

I'm glad I was able to help. I have one comment, however. Your answer was addressed to me rather than the Cygwin list. Since I'm subscribed to the list, an answer there would get to me, but more importantly would be available to others, as well as being part of the mail archive, indicating a successful resolution of the issue. This is a good thing, for future users of Cygwin.

Bob

Andreas Madritsch wrote:
Bob McGowan wrote:

Andreas,

I'm a bit confused about what you're saying here. Are you saying the error is not 'msgfmt: not found'? In other words, the script is really finding msgfmt.exe?

Yes, but the wrong. I have an other, which could be found in my dos path.

I'm confused because the rest of your statement seems to indicate you may have copied msgfmt.exe into c:/cygwin/usr/bin using some windows utility (cmd shell, Windows Explorer, etc). Since Cygwin makes a mount point of /usr/bin that refers back to /bin, there will be nothing in c:/cygwin/usr/bin as seen from Windows Explorer. And from a Cygwin utility, anything copied to c:/cygwin/usr/bin by a Windows tool would be hidden by the mount of /bin over /usr/bin.

After extracting the gettext packages with tar from within the bash shell it worked. Tank you for the hint.

But if this is true and msgfmt.exe is hidden for this reason, the error would in fact be 'msgfmt: not found'.

Andreas Madritsch wrote:
 > Christopher Faylor wrote:

 > On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:21:15PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
---deleted previous stuff---

 > "crashing" with an error like:
 >
 > msgfmt: not found

No, but msgfmt.exe of my djgpp installation has been taken, because msgfmt.exe of cygwin has not been found. I made sure, that msgfmt.exe
is located in c:/cygwin/usr/bin and that /usr/bin is in the path variable. An ls from the bash shell in /usr/bin results in a different files than I see from Windows Explorer.

Andreas

-- Bob McGowan Staff Development Engineer VERITAS Software rmcgowan at veritas dot com