Re: exim 4.12-3 winsock problem (was Re: 1.3.21)

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Using good old fashioned strings and Andre's suggestion I have isolated
> the registry keys requiring read access for Everyone (which did not
> already have it) to the following:
>
>     1. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock\Parameters
>     2. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters
>
> I guess that the above is no great surprise.
>
> BTW, not having read access for Everyone on the above keys causes the
> following exim error messages:
>
>     1. IPv4 socket creation failed: Operation not permitted
>     2. cannot find smtp/tcp service when starting daemon
>
> respectively.

Great Jason, I will put that in the exim README.

While you are at it, can you enhance the educational experience by looking
at the starting wsock problem, using your specially instrumented code.
Is access to both keys above needed for a successful start?

Can you also confirm that wsock starts correctly under strace even
when there is no access to the keys above?
Does anyone have a theory for that?

Pierre