Re: Minimum Install for Executable Distrubution

* Max Bowsher (03-02-25 20:13 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> I checked it myself and I was wrong: the default install is exactly
>> the base install (plus dependencies) and this is exactly the minimum
>> install.
>
> For certain definitions of minimum.

Well, yes. I believe the Cygwin people had strong reasons to put
something in the base (default) install, so "If you uncheck something
from the base packages, something certainly will fail".

But I'm curious (and this question is often asked). Do you think
something from the base install could be omitted /and/ having a
working Cygwin install?

[Base Packages]
ash: A Bourne Shell (/bin/sh) workalike
base-files: A set of important system configuration and setup files
base-passwd: A script to set up initial passwords and groups
bash: The GNU Bourne Again SHell
cygwin: The UNIX emulation engine
diffutils: A GNU collection of diff utilities
fileutils: GNU file management utilities
findutils: Utilities for finding files--find, xargs, and locate
gawk: GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing language
gdbm: GNU dbm database routines (runtime version)
grep: GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
gzip: The GNU compression utility
libintl2: GNU Internationalization runtime library
libncurses5: Compatibility libraries for terminal handling (runtime)
libncurses6: Current libraries for terminal handling (runtime)
libreadline4: GNU readline and history libraries (runtime)
libreadline5: GNU readline and history libraries (runtime)
login: Sign on to a system
ncurses: Libraries for terminal handling (main package)
readline: GNU readline and history libraries
sed: The GNU sed stream editor
sh-utils: A set of GNU utilities commonly used in shell scripts
tar: A GNU file archiving program
termcap: Compatibility package for old termcap-based programs
terminfo: Database for ncurses-style terminal handling
textutils: The GNU text file processing utilities
which: Displays where a particular program in your path is located
zlib: The zlib compression and decompression library

Thorsten
--
 children under the age of 18