Re: Solving: Quotes in $PATH not translated properly

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:22:54 +0100 Harald Kierer <Harald dot Kierer at astrum dot de> wrote:

> a current problem when invoking cygwin is: if the Windows PATH
> variable has quoted paths then cygwin won't translate those paths to
> POSIX properly, so you end up with an incomplete $PATH:
>
> T:\bin>echo %PATH%
> "C:\Program Files\abc";[...]

Are the quotes absolutely necessary inside %path%?  If not, removing
them would be a useful workaround.

> So when I start a login bash everything is nice:
>
> T:\src>bash --login
>
> [/t/src] $ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/c/Program Files/abc:[...]

> My remaining problem:
> We launch a lot of scripts from the DOS Box, like 'sh script.sh'.
> This doesn't invoke the profile. How can I launch this path-parser-script
> every time a bash or ash gets started?

Just like you show above, with --login.  -rcfile is also possible.
One problem with doing either blindly is that /etc/profile might
change the current directory.  See
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~mchase/zip/Bash_This.reg for some example
"one liners" that work around that problem.

If the scripts expect to be called from a DOS prompt, something like
the following inside them might help:

   if [ -z "$PS1" ]; then
      cwd="$PWD"
      . /etc/profile
      cd "$cwd"
   fi

It would be easier to launch your scripts from a normal bash prompt
if at all possible.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html