RE: toggling DOS versus UNIX line ends

(the following is conjecture as I always install unix mode)
I think this is handled by mount. ie you have things mounted in text mode
not binmode
if you remount your mounts as binmode you should be ok. (best to do a "mount
> mounts-backup.txt" to have a record of what they were before fiddling with
the mount tables though)
man mount and man umount should give all the info you need.

cavat.
	just been for a 2 hour boozy lunch so be warned.