Does agetty work with a modem

Has anyone used agetty with a modem?  If so, how did you get the modem to
answer the call?  I don't see anything in the agetty code that would handle
the modems "RING" or "CONNECT" responses.  What does the agetty
documentation refer to when it says that it could be used with a modem.

I would like to dial into cygwin without using PPP or TCP/IP as I would to a
Linux machine with mgetty.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I tried to research this as much as I
could but I have found nothing that indicates that it can be done.

Thanks