Re: Obtaining a pervious version

John Williams wrote:
Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) wrote:

What doesn't work? The Cygwin provided utilities or the Xygwin1 versions?

Neither. I can't run either Cygwin utilities under Xygwin, nor the Xygwin utilities under Cygwin. Full error messages were posted earlier in the thread.

OK so you are trying to mix and match.  Ain't gonna work without some
effort on your part.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the Cygwin utilities to work in this
situation, since they may be using something in the newer cygwin1.dll.

Hence my original question about winding back the clock.

That isn't going to help either unless you rebuild all the Xygwin
utilities.  And if you're going to do that, you might as well build
them against the current version of cygwin1.dll.  Either way, there's
no shortcut here.

I suppose you could always use  strace if this doesn't answer the
"it doesn't work" question.

Good tip. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

It's only possibly going to point to shared memory conflicts so
there's not much reason to do this (now that I'm clear on what
you're doing).  You have two choices AFAICS:

  1. Recompile the Xygwin stuff to use cygwin1.dll (this is what I
     would recommend).

  2. Fire up your favorite binary editor and edit all your Xygwin
     utilities to point to cygwin1.dll instead of xygwin1.dll.  (this is
     real hackish).

If you choose to explore (2), make sure you make no change to the binaries
other than changin 'x' to 'c'.

Good luck,