RE: Bash shell

> > I use the bash shell a LOT and was wondering how do I get it so  that I
can
> > copy and paste something from a windows window (such as an IP address)
into
> > the bash shell window. For example I want to use the whois functionality
of
> > the bash shell for an IP I have in a windows window. I cannot seem to
copy
> > and paste anything.
> >
> > I know that for the Xfree you can use the -clipboard option, but I
rarely
> > use the X system...mostly just the bash shell.

Larry Hall:
> Welcome!  New users are encouraged to make use of the available resources
> to see if their question or issue is covered before querying the list.
> That includes the FAQ, User's Guide, and email list archives.  In
> this case,
> you wouldn't have needed to go beyond the FAQ.  There's a nice entry about
> this in there.  See:
>
>    4.2.24 How can I copy and paste into Cygwin console windows?
>    <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC54>

 Pasting things from the above FAQ section into "pico ~/.inputrc"

"2~5~Be2~5~4~24~BC": paste-from-clipboard

 Nice pasting... eh..?

Well, after adding (for "insert-key"-paste)
	"\e]2~": paste-from-clipboard
to ~/.inputrc and restarting all of cygwin: It doesn't work.
I also have
	DEL: forward-backward-delete-char
which does work in pico (internal handling?), but not in Bash...
(most things set as per default)

 It is nice to have a FAQ, but when things described there doesn't work...

FINALLY:
 "\M-[2~": paste-from-clipboard # insert key
OTOH seems to work nicely (suggesttion by Randall Schulz, 2003-02-14)
this also remedies the first problem.

 Who is the FAQ maintainer?

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden

-- 8< --
Windows 98 SE Ver 4.10 Build 2222
-- 8< --
889k 2003/02/08 C:\Program\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
  Cygwin DLL version info:
      DLL version: 1.3.20
      DLL epoch: 19
      DLL bad signal mask: 19005