Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 02:21:18PM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >Chris,

> >Maybe a new naming convention might serve to deter the naive:
> >PackageName-versionOrDateTag.car ("Cygwin ARchive"). It would still be
> >a BZip2-compressed TAR file, just as Java's ".jar" files are PKZIP
> >files under a different name (and with some extra content structuring
> >conventions).
>
> You know, I almost mentioned that but I think that someone (Robert
> Collins maybe?) may have suggested this previously and I adamantly
> intoned that these were ".tar.bz2 files dammit".
>
> However, changing the extension would go some way towards alleviating
> this problem and it would open the door to creating different package
> formats, identifiable by magic number.
>
> I was also thinking of creating a '/dev/tty' file in the archive which
> was just a real file containing the words "Hey! What are YOU DOING???" I
> think that would cause a tar extraction to print that message to the
> screen.  Don't know what it would do to setup.exe, though.

I think I'm confused. If you do this, then every time we run tar we'd see "Hey!
What are YOU DOING???" unless we removed /dev/tty? If so, it seems to me like
that would be annoying and it would be a pain to have remember to go remove
/dev/tty after every time we run setup to *avoid* that message.

--Rick