Re: Python PyOpenGL, Cygwin & "R.I. -Real Ignorance"

Jeff,

Please post instead of sending private email.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:54:23PM -0500, Jeff Schmitt wrote:
> Sorry to write to you directly.  Through my extensive Altavista
> searching I've seen a few e-mails that suggest you're one of the few,
> the proud, who knows what they're doing w/Python & Cygwin.  I'm an
> experienced computer analyst myself, familiar with both Windows and
> Unix environments.  I've even done some minimal C coding, but don't
> consider myself a developer.  I only know enough to be dangerous.
>
> I'm writing out of desperation.  I've loaded Cygwin and I'm hooked!
> Being able to switch between Win & Unix natively w/o having to worry
> about cr/lf's in files is an absolute dream come true.  I can't
> believe it's free!  What's more... I've found a Python program (Open
> source) which would be a tremendous help to my hobby - A.I.  It was
> designed to run on Linux, and seems as though Cygwin *SHOULD* be able
> to handle it.  I've loaded the full blown Net Cygwin (using Setup: w/o
> some extraneous packages like DB, Publishing & Web) - and I've
> successfully loaded and run X11R6, OpenGL (OS), wxPython, Numeric,
> PIL, and almost every dependant package I need to run this software
> EXCEPT ONE: PyOpenGL - the thread that glues Python and OpenGL
> together.  As I've mentioned, I've successfully compiled and tested
> OpenGL on Cygwin, which works wonderfully.  But attempting to
> DistUtil/compile PyOpenGL always gives me an Invalid Page fault in
> swig - which I've narrowed down to Python's math.dll.

Maybe the Cygwin swig maintainer can help here.  This is one reason why
posting is better than private email.

> So I tried building Python from scratch with the sources, but 'make
> test' fails on fork1.  I'm stuck.  I'm pulling my hair out (what's
> left of it)!!!

The above is due to the Cygwin rebase issue:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:cygwin.com+rebase&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

> I'm wondering if there's any chance you may have attempted to build/load
> this module yourself,

No.

> and if so, which caveats you were able to overcome.  I would REALLY
> appreciate any hints you can throw in my direction.  Oh... and I'm

Maybe someone on the list has built or attempted to build Cygwin
PyOpenGL before.  This is another reason why posting is better than
private email.

> Forgive me if my wording seems a tad terse -
> [snip]
> But I really would greatly appreciate any assistance you could spare.
>
> P.S. the program I'm attempting to compile/run under Python/Cygwin is:
> http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/wiki/index.cgi/PyroInstallation
>
> Any chance you would help me out???

I'm sorry my plate is full -- actually, overflowing.  Maybe someone on
the list has the same itch and some spare cycles.  This is yet another
reason why posting is better than private email.

> Thanks for your time,

You are welcome.

Jason