RE: awk strangely outputs to file

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Harald Kierer wrote:

> > From: Chiranth [mailto:chiranth.m@net-kraft.com]
> > On Feb 3, Harald Kierer wrote....
> > >How can awk write Windows-like text files from within the script?
> > >The only way right now is to redirect the whole output like above.
> >
> > perhaps you would like to keep awk working the way it is currently and
> > call use the program unix2dos to convert the output file to
> > DOS format.
> >
> > You can write it in a single shell script somewhat like this...
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > awk -v v_OutFile="c:/x" -f example.awk /etc/passwd
> >
> > dos2unix "c:/x"
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. This is how we are dealing with the
> problem right now.
>
> > IMO it would be a pain if awk were to output data with Windows style
> > line terminators.  It would affect other programs to which
> > data is piped
> > from awk.
>
> gawk did output Windows style files in our last used cygwin version
> (which was quite old, but anyway). So this behaviour apparently
> changed at some point and we end up changing our scripts.
>
> bye,
>  Harry

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MOUNT>
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html> (the section on "binmode")
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune