Re: [ -d ' ' ] && echo yes

Isn't space a valid file or directory name in unix?  Since it
is if the filename " " does not exist you would get an error.

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:45:11PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Norton Allen wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure it's a feature of SUSv3... Or one of the other POSIXy
> >> standards.
> >>
> >> However I've been working for hours so my brain is fried and may be
> >> spewing out random recollections '-)
> >
> >   FWIW, I've just tested on Linux (of some flavor) and OpenBSD,
> >   and neither thinks ' ' is a directory.
> >
> >   In any event, I'd like to figure out whether it's a bug or
> >   a feature under Cygwin so I can move forward.
>
> It's a bug/feature in Windows. Trying to manipulate such a directory in an
> ordinary cmd shell or in explorer produces spurious error messages and/or
> silent failiures.
>
> I.e. it falls into the same category as 'aux' and 'foo...' - file names
> which Windows simply won't do.
>
> Max.
>

> --

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb