Re: ps does not show all the processes ?

Gael,

% ps --help
Usage: ps [-aefls] [-u UID]
-a, --all show processes of all users
-e, --everyone show processes of all users
-f, --full show process uids, ppids
-h, --help output usage information and exit
-l, --long show process uids, ppids, pgids, winpids
-s, --summary show process summary
-u, --user list processes owned by UID
-v, --version output version information and exit
-W, --windows show windows as well as cygwin processes
With no options, ps outputs the long format by default

On my system, "ps -aeW" (at the moment) shows 56 running processes. About the biggest flaw I can see, and it's very minor, is that the "System Idle Process" is shown in "ps" output as "*** unknown ***".

Also, I don't think of using the available options, including "--help" (not to mention "man ps" or "info ps" or "pinfo ps") are in the category of "work-arounds."

You might want to investigate "procps". My favorite thing about it is its ability show the actual command line of running processes. (Cygwin ones, anyway. And really, what else matters?)

Randall "the curmudgeon" Schulz