annoying problem with 'mv'

My understanding of the way that 'mv' works is that it will try to RENAME the file or directory in question provided the source and destination are on the same partition otherwise it will do a COPY.

If I mv (in the sense of renaming) a large directory that is buried deep in some other directory, it will occur very quickly. If that same directory happens to be rooted at /c, it will take a very long time because it appears to be doing a copy.

This has been going on for a long time, but currently I'm running the latest of almost everything on a Win2k pro box.

My mount tables are:
c:\program files on /PF type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /c type system (binmode)
f: on /cvs type system (binmode)
g: on /kits type system (binmode)