RE: SSH and Home

"Kevin Jones" <kevinj@develop.com> wrote around 27 Jan 2003
000101c2c62d$d84b59c0$0200a8c0@milo:">news:000101c2c62d$d84b59c0$0200a8c0@milo:

> You're absolutely right - I've gone through the process of changing to a
> name with no spaces but the problem persisted. After reading this I
> changed my etc/passwd file so that home was /cygdrive/d/home/kevinj and
> I'm golden

This one bit me too, awhile back when I was first setting up ssh. IMHO
this is a fairly specific, non-obvious case of something happening that
newer Cygwin users won't be looking out for. I mean the "/etc/password"
thing, not the "spaces" thing -- the querying of /etc/passwd that shh is
doing (I've never had spaces in my HOME directory spec, so that part of it
never bit me).

My $HOME is E:/home/[username] in Win32 mode ("/cdv/e/home/[username]"
in Posix mode) and ssh couldn't find it, was barfing, because I had not
edited the /etc/passwd file. Not being a big user of applications in
daemon mode on Cygwin previous to that, I never had it cross my mind
that an app would need to find out where $HOME was by some other means
than querying the current environment. Of course, once it is explained,
it is obvious. I first thought, though, that ssh was broken (as in:
badly ported, buggy).

I still believe that by some means, this issue needs to be brought to
the attention of new (and potential) ssh users IN BIG BOLD PRINT. ;-).
I'd like to see a Cygwin FAQ entry regarding it.

  Also Cute and Fluffy,
    Soren A

--
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"