RE: cygwin Release process

I tried to use my experience to bring William around to your point of view. Because William is concerned about future upgrades, I presented some scenarios for guarding against upgrades.

I presume you're using Cygwin in a development context -- where it's good if you have more eyeballs testing the current code. I'll go out on a limb and assume William used Cygwin in a production environment -- where the opposite is true. You stay on something you understand, and if you don't knowingly apply major upgrades.

> If we had made the decision to turn CYGWIN=ntsec on in the next major
> "stable" release, then all of horrendous problems that were suffered
> (which, AFAIK, are "solved" these days by saying CYGWIN=nontsec) would
> still have manifested.
>
> The change *was* announced.  The functionality *was*
> previously tested.

I don't disagree that the change was "announced". In hindsight, I see it was. Arthur Dent got an announcement before his home was demolished for a bypass (apologies to those who don't get the HHGTTG reference). :-)

To this day, it's still not on the Cygwin.com home page under "What's New". I don't doubt it is mentioned under a particular Release announcement. For better or worse, people in the Windows space wouldn't look there anyways. They wouldn't proactively subscribe to a mailing list and look for problem reports. What many users would assume is a setup utility provides a mechanism for a packager to provide critical warnings that must be acknowledged.

I can't offer that improvement as a patch -- the best I can do is stay out of the way by assuming responsibility for my own upgrade testing. But it would be nice :-)

I'd like to end this thread with the following comment:

The hours I lost on my ntsec upgrade (and my botched attempts to fix it which probably made it worse) are *insignificant* to the hours of productivity I GAINED by having a mostly-complete GNU environment under Windows.

Cygwin saved me from a complete rewrite task, of scripts which always assumed Linux. I can't understate how much I gained here. You made the `almost impossible', possible. Thank you (everyone).

> This is not an argument for a stable release.  On the
> contrary, it's an
> argument for quick corrective releases to fix the problem.
>
> You make a good point about the old, stable release.  That's
> one of the
> drawbacks of such a plan.  What about errata?  Are errata going to be
> supplied for the stable release?  Who is going to decide when to make
> a new release?  Is there going to be a voting process?  Who gets to
> vote?  Who gets to arbitrate disputes?
>
> Debian has a structure for this kind of thing.  So does Red
> Hat.  I don't
> see any evidence that the Cygwin community has the type of committment
> required for this kind of activity and, I, certainly don't want to be
> worrying about stuff like this.  It requires someone with
> both the desire
> and organizational skills to pull it together.  The effort to do this
> can't be trivialized.

Agreed.