Re: Suppress newline under cygwin bash

Robert,

At 23:19 2003-01-27, Robert Mark Bram wrote:
Howdy all!

I have noticed that the two ways I have read about to suppress newline
characters in the echo command do not seem to be working. Here is what I
have tried:

$ echo "hi there\c"
hi there\c
This is csh / tcsh's way of suppressing the terminal newline usually supplied by the "echo" command. It also documented in the man page to work with the separate echo executable, "/bin/echo.exe", but it does not do so for me (for whatever reason). It does not work in the BASH built-in echo command.

$ echo "...using -n."
...using -n.

$
You have to give the "-n" as a separate option argument preceding the string or strings to be echoed.

Quoted or unquoted, the result is the same. I tried doing a google search
(and cygwin archive search) for "echo suppress newline" but did not find
anything related to cygwin.

BTW.. my purpose?
It doesn't matter--you're allowed.

Any help would be much appreciated!