Re: Cygwin Release process

Bill,

The "Keep" button is in the setup CVS already.  Try a setup snapshot. ;-)

There does seem to be a tendency that most of the problems are introduced
when a major new version of a package (*-1) is released.  The *-[2-9]
versions are usually bugfixes applied specifically to the Cygwin port of
the package.  What I suggest is marking the *-1 versions of any package
"experimental" initially, rather than "curr" (as it was done with perl).
Subsequent versions could also be marked "experimental" until the
maintainer feels there will not be further complaints, at which point the
package could be promoted to "curr" (which could happen with a *-1 as
well).  This way, people who want "stability" would only upgrade to
"curr".  People who like to use the latest and greatest will have to use
"experimental" as their preferred mode (persistent setup options could
help here).  We could introduce a fourth category, "testing", to go
between "curr" and "experimental", so that we reserve "experimental" for
stuff that's really "out on a limb", although, from what I've seen
"experimental" used for (perl 5.8), I think "experimental"  should do
fine.  Just my 2¢, sorry for the rant.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune