Re: Cygwin 1.3.19 Windows 2000 Professional SP3 bash $home /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

At 02:04 AM 1/26/2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> > I would still prefer that Cygwin Bash work correctly from a clean
> > install.
>
>It does for some :-)

Elfyn, I think you're being too kind in this case.  David's comment here
seems to completely miss the point made earlier.  The problem is clearly
that the 'Dia Win32 Installer' did not uninstall properly, leaving it's
munged version of the HOME variable around for other packages (like Cygwin)
to trip over.  No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling of Cygwin is going
to affect this variable.  Stating that "Cygwin Bash [should] work correctly
from a clean install" as a conclusion to the scenario described is flawed.
Bash was installed correctly.  It goes out of it's way to accommodate the
needs of the user and other programs by not resetting the HOME environment
variable.  Doing so would be presumptuous on Bash's part (and I think the
same should be said for 'Dia Win32 Installer').  The problem clearly lies
with the installer/uninstaller of 'Dia Win32 Installer'.  For those that
use this product with Cygwin, they will need to be aware of this direct
manipulation of the environment and take steps accordingly to make both
'Dia Win32 Installer' and Cygwin work in their environment.  This is a very
specific clash of environments between two products.  While solutions for
somehow automating the detection of this clash and resolving it in the
Cygwin installer (setup) is, no doubt, possible, it's pretty far-fetched to
claim this is a Cygwin issue.  In my opinion, it's more appropriate to say
that bash as installed by Cygwin works correctly 99.9% of the time, with
the remaining .1% of failures caused by environment issues (like this one)
that are really outside of Cygwin's jurisdiction.

Sorry if this sounds very opinionated but I think it's important for the
sake of the email archives to not leave around an unsubstantiated indication
that bash has some general installation problem.