Fw: Cygwin 1.3.19 Windows 2000 Professional SP3 bash $home /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

cygwin@cygwin.com:

Some more clues:

1.  Cygwin Bash reports the present working directory as:

        dpchrist@w2k30g ~
        $ pwd
        /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

2.  Yet Windows Explorer does not show any folder named "bin", much less
"bin\%USERPROFILE%" under "C:\cygwin\usr".

3.  Neither does Bash:

        dpchrist@w2k30g ~
        $ ls /usr
        doc  etc  include  info  local  man  sbin  share  src  ssl  tmp
var

4.  There is a folder named "%USERPROFILE%" under "C:\cygwin\bin", and
it contains the file ".bash_history".

5.  I can cd into /bin and into /usr/bin, and end up in the same place.

I think Cygwin is cheating -- e.g. there is a hidden link from /usr/bin
to /bin (?).

Regarding Bash not starting up in my home directory, a quick and dirty
work-around is to create a file ".bash_profile" under
"C:\cygwin\bin\%USERPROFILE%" with contents as follows:

        export HOME=/home/$USER

        cd $HOME
        . .bash_profile

Lighting off the desktop shortcut now takes me to my home directory.

I would still prefer that Cygwin Bash work correctly from a clean
install.

HTH,

David Christensen
dpchrist@holgerdanske.com