Re: Cygwin-1.3.19 fixed vim bug! Thankyou!

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 15:39 2003-01-25, Max Bowsher wrote:
> >Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> > >
> > > Hm, a quick check here with cygwin 1.3.17 and vim 6.1 doesn't show
> > > this problem.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're doing?
> >
> >I doubt it. I don't have an old Cygwin around to verify this, but since the
> >bug is gone now, it doesn't matter really.
> >

> >Max.
>
> Max,
>
> There is (or was) more to this than the simple unconditional, uniform
> occurrence of the symptom you report, since I've never seen them either
> (in any version of Cygwin or Vim), and I use arrow keys in insert mode plenty.
>
> Randall Schulz

I didn't see it either until I set up a new installation where
there was no vimrc in any of the places vim looks.
Seems it only happened when vim is in vi compatibility mode.
By default, any vimrc in the initialization path
or ~/.vimrc places vim in non-vi compatible mode (vim mode)
unless specifically placed back into vi compatibility mode.
Normally I have a ~/.vimrc
I've lost the message, but someone wrote they changed from
sending escape sequences in block mode to character at a
time.  I believe that's what originally did it.
I just did another fresh install.  No vimrc's.
Vim still having trouble with escape sequences in
vi compatibility mode.

c. Four places are searched for initializations.  The first that exists
   is used, the others are ignored.
   -  The environment variable VIMINIT (see also |compatible-default|) (*)
   -  The user vimrc file(s):
               "$HOME/.vimrc"      (for Unix and OS/2) (*)
		(other OS snipped)
    (*) Using this file or environment variable will cause 'compatible' to be
         off by default.  See |compatible-default|.

compatible-default
When Vim starts, the 'compatible' option is on.  This will be used when Vim
starts its initializations.  But as soon as a user vimrc file is found, or a
vimrc file in the current directory, or the "VIMINIT" environment variable is
set, it will be set to 'nocompatible'.

Try it out.
Run vim.  set compatible.
Either command window or rxvt although they
each behave slightly differently.

vim in cygwin TERM insert mode
leftarrow yeilds E388: Definition not found
upkey just breaks out of insert mode.

vim in rxvt yeilds an inserted line above plus A or B or C or D
depending on which arrow.

then put back vim. set nocompatible.
vim will be ok.