final: try a snapshot, Novell, BSOD, /etc

Pierre Humblet found some problems with the recently revamped /etc scanning
code, so I spent some time amidst the sources.redhat.com upgrade addressing
his concerns and revamping some of this code some more in preparation for
coming changes to cygwin.

So, the only change in the latest snapshot is an update in the code to
try to read /etc/passwd and /etc/group only when they change.  It needs
testing, however.  I have tried it on XP and 95 and I've tried ssh, zsh,
and bash with no problems.

This release should also work around some of the problems that people were
reporting with Novell network shares.  Cygwin will operate a little more
slowly there but it won't be issuing any more warnings.

Thanks to Pierre for all of his research on this problem and apologies
for insisting on doing things "my own way".  It must be a tad
frustrating to offer patches and see things done in a different way.
However, I wouldn't have been changing this at all if he hadn't done the
research and allowed me to use his code for inspiration.

Also thanks to Corinna for providing a nice foundation on which to make
all of these changes.

cgf