Fwd: Re: Installation

From: "Scott Taylor" <scott.taylor@4i-dotcom.com>
Subject: Re: Installation
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:06:41 -0000

OK got locate working, but there seems to be something wrong in general with
calling commands.

"ls -l" works fine but...
"ls -l | more" does not

Also, I wanted to install cygipc but it gives me the following:

$ tar -C/ -xjf cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2
tar (child): cygipc.1.13-2.tar.bz2: cannot open: no such file or directory
tar (child): error not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2

The file "tar.exe" is in my bin directory...why can't it see it?

Scott
Just to be clear, your shell is finding and running tar just fine (as you can confirm with "tar --help". Messages of the form "tar: blah blah blah" are from tar itself. If your shell couldn't find tar at all, you would get something like "bash: tar: command not found".

(Sorry for the munged headers.)

Jeremy