Re: How can I abbreviate /cygdrive/DRIVELETTER ?

svartsjel@gmx.net wrote:

Hi everyone!

As I often access different drives from within the bash I'm wondering if there's a quicker way to get on, say, drive l (a network drive) than entering 'cd /cygdrive/l'? I alias'd '/cygdrive/l' to 'l' which works fine for cd, but not for commands like chmod, cp, mv etc. Among others I'd like to use the automatic command line completion which doesn't work for /cygdrive/... either.
Any suggestions?
I've long since changed the cygdrive prefix to /dev. Seemed like a natural place to put it and it's fairly short. Never encountered a problem.

However for cd'ing to a common location I tend to use environment variables such as:

$ export src="//server/share/path/to/src/file"

Then do things like cd $src. Normally, important areas are set up in my startup scripts. The nice thing is that if you wanted to say "more" a file that works to, with file name completion as in:

$ more $src/a/sub<tab>

Changes to

$ more //server/share/path/to/src/file/a/subdirectory.

Oh, and I also tend to use UNC names instead of mounting drive letters. So even if one did

$ net use L: \\\\server\\share\\path\\to\\src\\file

I would still tend to use the UNC name of //server/share/path/to/src/file or $src. One reason for this is that one persons L: drive may be another server/share all together on another desktop machine. With UNC names there is no ambiguity.