Re: Losing data with routine cp and mv -- "cannot create hard link"

At 04:55 AM 1/16/2003, Thomas Baker wrote:
>In the absence of responses to my earlier note (below), and
>having made a second fruitless search of FAQs and archives,
>I'd like to make a second and final attempt with a simpler
>question:
>
>    If cp and mv are not reliably copying all of the contents
>    of an (apparently) normal directory tree with 89,000 normal
>    data files, of 1.4 GB total size, using WIN2000 and NTFS,
>    is it most likely due to inherent size limits of cygwin?
>
>If the problems are due to inherent limits, then I can
>adjust by copying such big directories in smaller chunks,
>as I have already done successfully.  I just want to make
>sure that this is in fact the problem.

If you're looking for some 'official' validation of what you see,
I'm not sure that you'll find it here.  It's not that we wouldn't like
to give it (or even refute your findings ;-) ).  It's just that I don't
believe anyone has done as much analysis of this issue as you have.
Certainly, the values you report (89000 files occupying 1.4GB of space) are
not, in and of themselves, an obvious red-flag.  If you'd like to get a
better handle on the situation (and help the list understand your problem as
well), it would be worthwhile to run strace on this process and look
for any suspect results.  Be warned.  This will generate a huge file
with lots of output, most of which is not going to indicate any problems.
However, if you can help isolate a problem area, it may be easier for
someone here to diagnose the problem and offer a fix... or at least an
explanation.

Sorry I don't have the magic bullet for you.