Re: Bugs in Rsync?

Michael Hipp wrote:
> I'm trying to use Rsync to back up this system to a remote across the
> network. I'm butting my head against 2 probs:
>
> - When rsync is given a source of /, it absolutely refuses to descend
> into /cygdrive. It's as if the -x (one fs only) is set.

Do "ls /". In common with /dev, and mounts over nonexistent dirs, Cygwin's
virtualized folders do not appear in directory listings.

If you want this, you can create a cygdrive folder in the cygwin root with
non-Cygwin tools.

> - When rsync is given a source of /cygdrive/c/ it will attempt to read
> pagefile.sys (the NT swap file) and always reports an IO error and
> this causes it to change its behavior (doesn't quite die). It does
> this regardless of all-powerful exclusions that would cause it to
> skip over pagefile.sys. Even touching that file enough to realize to
> exclude it evidently causes it problems.

Ouch. That's a bug, obviously, but whether in Cygwin or rsync, I don't know.

Max.