Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000

For what its worth (perhaps nothing) based on other comments about this
working
sometimes...
I got cygwin CVS working using the pserver protocol with no heroic efforts.
Not having
used CVS before, I could have done something heroic and didn't even know
it, but I
doubt it.  8-).

1) I set the CVSROOT, CVSPASSWORD environment variables
2) Seem to recall needing to fully qualify the hostname in CVSROOT, i.e.
export CVSROOT=:pserver:kulack@foobarcvs.mydomain.ibm.com:/cvs/repos/foobar
3) cvs login

I pretty extensively use the eclipse CVS plugin, but the cygwin stuff I use
for
batch changes and I've done more than a few checkouts/updates/commits
with no problems thus far. Several others on my team have had good luck as
well.
I'm running XP Professional, some of my teammates are on Win2000.

> cvs --version
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11 (client/server)
Copyright (c) 1989-2000 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.
Specify the --help option for further information about CVS

"The stuff we call "software" is not like anything that human society
  is used to thinking about. Software is something like a machine, and
  something like mathematics, and something like language, and
  something like thought, and art, and information...
  but software is not in fact any of those other things."
Bruce Sterling - The Hacker Crackdown

Fred A. Kulack - IBM eServer iSeries - Enterprise Application Solutions
ERP, Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
mailto:kulack@us.ibm.com   Personal: mailto:kulack@magnaspeed.net
AIM Home:FKulack  AIM Work:FKulackWrk
MSN Work: fakulack@hotmail.com

                      Randall R Schulz
                      <rrschulz@cris.co        To:       cygwin@cygwin.com
                      m>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
                      cygwin-owner@cygw
                      in.com

                      01/12/2003 07:19
                      PM

Elfyn,

I neglected to mention that it has also been reported that some, through
heroic effort, have managed to get pserver working. Details of their
arduousness were not reported, however.

Searching for "CVS," "pserver," "external" and / or "SSH" will help you
zero in on the pertinent messages to the Cygwin mailing list.

It's possible that ongoing improvements in Cygwin have made pserver work
(with less effort). Since I know nothing of the problems that impaired
pserver function, I can only offer this as a guess.

Randall Schulz