RE: Repost, different list...File::Spec, cygwin, Syntactic vs. Semantic path analysis

>	Ok, did I mention POSIX?  Posix != Unix.  So what's your point?
>	I've been on multiple unices [bogus latinization, but unix's
>doesn't roll of the tongue nearly so well]: sun, hp, sgi, linux,
>xenix, sco, others I don't remember.  I don't recall "//" being
>anything other than "/" on any of them, though my memory is most
>accurate for linux/SGI and I'm fairly sure about sun.  But any OS is
>subject to change over the years. So who knows what is true now.  But
>just because it is Posix doesn't mean its true for Unix.

You may not have mentioned POSIX but you sure mentioned cygwin. Cygwin
tries to be as POSIX compliant as possible, where possible should i
say. So in this stance `//' would be used by cygwin to access network
shares. Have you ever used a combination of a samba server and the
mount utility on your adventures with "unices"? Also if your going to draw an argument that "Posix != Unix" then Linux != Unix...

Now I've dont it... If this thread is still here in a week I'll have to
sell my sole to Microsoft ;-)