Re: Sed Script works in 3.02-1, fails in 4.0.1-1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dwight Neal" <DwightN@millbrook.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 7:33 PM
Subject: Sed Script works in 3.02-1, fails in 4.0.1-1

> I am migrating from a machine that uses a cygwin image loaded in May
> one that uses a November 2002 download, and have a sed script that
fails in
> the newer version:
>
> (This should be a single line of input, but I'm sure it will wrap when
> emailed):
>
> sed -f modifyhtm.txt "\Web Configuration\Default_installing.htm"
> >results\Default_installing.htm
>
> The error reported is:
>
> 'sed: file modifyhtm.txt line 1: No previous regular expression'

As modifyhtm.txt contains:

s//<font><\/font><\/BLOCKQUOTE>/

the reason for the error message is obvious.  The // refers to a
previously-compiled RE and there isn't one.  This is an error in
your script, not sed 4.0.1-1 and should also give the same error
message with sed 3.02-1.

As Randall says using / separators in s commands when slashes
are part of the RE is tricky.  You can use pretty much any
separator other than a backslash.

HTH
Peter S Tillier