RE: Bash backquote bug?

Michael,

My genius does not subsume that of the entire Cygwin community. Please keep all Cygwin dialogs on <mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com>.

At 13:53 2003-01-08, Barillier, Michael wrote:
The lines in the example are the lines that fail in the configure script.
I ran them directly from the command line and got the output shown.  The
fact that you didn't get the same results is a bit, erm ... troubling. :)
"Challenging" or "intriguing" or "bothersome," perhaps. But given this best-of-all-possible-worlds world in which we now live, such things don't trouble me.

I've attached the output of `cygcheck -s -v'.  I'd ran the Cygwin setup
program this morning and was trying to build some Emacs Lisp files to get
my home directory in order--everything was downloaded from
<http://archive.progeny.com/cygwin/>, IIRC, as of about 12:00EST.

Oh--the shebang line in the script references /bin/sh.  It was generated
by autoconf-2.53, if that's of any importance.  `ls' is aliased to `ls -F',
but even when unaliased `configure' barfs.  $CYGWIN is set to `tty notitle
glob ntsec'.
Your original post used "-L" ("-L, --dereference list entries pointed to by symbolic links") not "-F" ("-F, --classify append indicator (one of */=@|) to entries").

That, of course, suggests the answer to the puzzle (and proves that it is not "troubling"): The "configure" file presumably has its execute bit set, which causes "ls -F" to flag the output with a * which in turn caused the "echo $*" (with the $* unquoted) command to expand what appeared at that point to be a glob expression.

Randall Schulz

*Update*  So to check that I'm not imagining things, I re-ran the set of
commands I'd put in the email, and now they're working correctly for me.
The configure script, however, still does not.  I've attached the source
tarball that's failing--it's my Emacs startup files, please no comments on
the quality of my Lisp coding or overall incoherence of the files. :)  If
you run:

  $ tar xzvf bw-emacs-1.2.2.tar.gz
  $ cd bw-emacs-1.2.2
  $ ./configure

you should (?) get an error stating that `ls -t appears to fail'.  The
associated lines are the ones mentioned in my initial post.  I'll continue
rooting through the script to see what may be causing it, but if you have
any thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

-- mjb