Setup.exe locks up: Clarification

I was trying to install  Cygwin on my PC.
Windows 98  2nd edition.

I run startup.exe and go through the
windows until the select packages window.

I cannot select any packages and the
only way to exit the program is a
control-alt-delete and kill the program.

This setup.exe version is 2.249.2.5 and I downloaded
it on 5 Jan 2003  from the main Cygwin site.
I used the direct connection option
and the preliminary download from the mirror site
seemed to go ok.  I tried several mirror sites and I
tried both the install option and the download option.
I don't have any virus programs running and no
firewall.  Connection is over a 56k modem.

Something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.  I'm sorry if my previous message was
insufficient in details.  Someone kindly emailed
me to point this out.

Paul T. Karch

P.S.  I installed cygwin on another computer
about a year ago and had no problem.