read() syscall broken on faster cpu?

Hi,
Is it possible, that the read() syscall sometimes doesn't work correctly on
newer cpus?
I have problems to get the cygwin port of mplayer to work on a p3 800
whereas the
same executable works perfect on a p2 350. I found out, that it sometimes
reads one byte less on the p3 than on the p2. Other people get similar
errors on p4 and athlon cpus.
This is reproducable with the -dumpstream option, which reads the file in
2048 byte blocks and writes it into a new one.I use cygwin 1.3.18. Tell me
if you need more info.

S. Sommer