Re: Quick question

Pete,

"Stop the world. I want to get off."

It's a losing game. It's more likely your code is dependent on a bug that got fixed than it is that a new bug was introduced. If it is the latter, then whoever maintains the package with the bug will probably be happy to apply a fix and to help in diagnosing and crafting that fix, if necessary. It's always nice when those who discover problems report them to facilitate the improvement of the software.

While it's commendable to craft work-arounds when necessary, it's also advisable to consult with others before concluding that a work-around (or atavism) is needed.

It's never a good strategy to anchor yourself to a particular release in this way. Better to find the real problem and the proper fix and make your own code and / or the Cygwin code (or the baseline code) better in the long run.

By the way, what is this business of putting individuals' names into a cygwin@cygwin.com email address? I think that's a pretty questionable tactic. I doubt Chris Faylor equates himself with the Cygwin project no matter how much of his professional effort is devoted to it. Similarly, putting a user's name into the Cygwin mailing list address hardly seems appropriate.

Lastly, we encourage people to follow the intelligent question-asking practices outlined in <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>. In particular, "Quick question" is a poor subject header becuase it says nothing about the question being asked. I'm sure a majority of the questions asked here are (or were deemed by their asker) to be "quick."

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA