control-c problem...known bug?

Somehow, something I've done in my environment seems to cause a problem
with control-c handling.

A control-c gets sent to any sub-shells and right through 'ssh' -- very
annoying:

I tried the cygwin X server, but at the time it wanted to own the whole desktop and
didn't behave in a civilized manner with other win apps.  So, using Exceed's
X server, I can start other xterms and get pure X- cut/past semantics in addition
to horizontal resizing of the window. However, I notice that if I press 'control-c'
in the Cygwin window that started the xterm, the control-c is also sent to the
xterm window -- causing whatever is running it the window to terminate as though
I'd pressed control-c in that window as well.  The xterm doesn't terminate -- just
any control-c vulnerable program in the window -- which brings me to the next
point.

For some reason, on my system, 'ssh' is killed when I press control-c -- rather than
passing the ^c onto the remote system, it's processed locally and 'ssh' is
terminated: NOT what I wanted! :-(

Is there some setting I've unknowingly messed up?  stty -a looks like:
speed 38400 baud; rows 59; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^X; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Y; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop -echoctl -echoke

Thanks,
Linda