Re: Samba Client compilation on the latest DLL

Lee,

Surely all but the most inexperienced programmers using C or C++ know that a program that executes without overt failure cannot be considered bug-free? That a perfectly valid change in the compiler, the linker, the libraries or a switch to a different platform (which usually means all of these change) can make formerly latent bugs become manifest, right?

Considering that your program is not able to get off the ground, as it were, then you may have an unholy combination of libraries, run-times or compiler options. Complex software with big configuration scripts and large (and / or multiple) makefiles can sometimes cause such unsound mixtures.

It's also possible that there is some corruption in a library with which you're linking. If this is so and unless it's a fairly subtle corruption it might be visible in the debugger by viewing the assembly code at or near the point of failure.

By the way, I'm certainly not offended, but I take it you were. That was not my intent. I'm sorry.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA