Re: Machine reboots when editing files in /etc

Thomas,

Have you considered the possibility that there is file system corruption localized to portions of the file system structures relevant to the /etc directory or some of its contents?

According to the book "Windows 2000 Proffesional Resource Kit," stop 0x24 is "NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM," which I take as highly confirmatory of my hunch. The associated parameters are given as:

1) Source file and line number.
2) A non-zero value contains the address of the exception record.
3) A non-zero value contains the address of the context record.
4) A non-zero value contains the address where the original exception occurred.

Also, the RK book suggests examining the event log for SCSI and FASTFAT in the System Log or Autochk in the Application Log.

The prescription indicated is "chkdsk /f /r" on the relevant volume.

Have you done a chkdsk on the file system volume in question (lately)? You should.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA