Re: Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

Peter A. Castro wrote:

And, just to provide a counter example: I always run Norton AntiVirus
with automatic / background scanning enabled.  I generally have to,
because of infected machines at work which probe the network whenever we
get hit with the latest rash of viruses :(.  I've done all my Cygwin
installs/updates with AntiVirus enabled and never had a BSOD (I'm running
NT4 on fairly stable hardware and up to date drivers).  So, it is
possible and if something does fail, it more like a driver fault than an
application fault.

Yes, it HAS to be a "driver" fault (more accurately, it CANNOT be an
application fault). Applications run in ring 3 (call it "user mode" --
but it's a protected execution mode enforced by the x86 processor
hardware). drivers and such (like virus scanners) run in ring 0 (call
it kernel mode) along with the ntos kernel. If you get a BSOD, it is by
definition a ring 0 fault == kernel mode == drivers/virus-scanner/kernel problem. [AFAIK, ring 1 and ring 2 are not used by MSWin]

Now, as far as Norton vs. McAfee, the setup.exe BSODs have most often been reported wrt McAfee. I only recall one report from a year back or more where Norton was the culprit.

--Chuck