Re: Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

Summary of what Daniel Armbrust <daniel.armbrust@charter.net> wrote (too
much to quote - all relevant):

WinXP SP1, setup.exe seems to cause bluescreen STOP 0x00000024, when
finishing the download step and beginning the install step, if (many/any -
this is unclear - can you clarify?) packages have been downloaded. Suggested
relates to: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195857

Me commenting on above:
The KB article says the problem occurs when an app shuts down. I'm not
saying the issue couldn't be related, but its not the same issue.

Please clarify exactly what you have to do to reproduce the problem: Is
downloading a couple of packages enough, or must it be a substantial portion
of the distribution?

Returning to quoting:

> The reason that I suspect that this is a cygwin installer issue, and
> not a driver issue, is that this machine never crashes with ANY other
> software.

Well, the most any user program can do to cause a bluescreen is to tickle a
bug in the OS.

> Furthermore, I have an NT 4.0 machine (service pack 6) at work, with a
> completely different hardware setup (so all drivers are different) and
> again, while it NEVER crashes like this with any other software, the
> cygwin installer causes a STOP error EVERY TIME it is run.
>
> Fixing this problem would be a great benefit to your software package.
> Having the installer bluescreen a high percentage of machines on
> install is obviously not a good thing.

I think you've just been horribly unlucky. This is the first bug report of
this kind of thing in ages.

--
Max.