Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

Every time that I run the cygwin installer program, when it finishes
downloading packages, and moves to the install step, it bluescreen
crashes my Windows XP machine (service pack 1) with the following error:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, ..., ...) (I didn't take the time to write
down the last to parameters)

Upon reboot, when I run through the install process again, it works
fine, since the packages have already been downloaded.  After the
install is complete, all of the cygwin apps work fine.

Here is what I think may be a cause (but I know nothing about cygwin
internals, so its just a guess):

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195857

The reason that I suspect that this is a cygwin installer issue, and not
a driver issue, is that this machine never crashes with ANY other
software.

Furthermore, I have an NT 4.0 machine (service pack 6) at work, with a
completely different hardware setup (so all drivers are different) and
again, while it NEVER crashes like this with any other software, the
cygwin installer causes a STOP error EVERY TIME it is run.

Fixing this problem would be a great benefit to your software package.
Having the installer bluescreen a high percentage of machines on install
is obviously not a good thing.