Re: minires + rblcheck works

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:33:18PM -0800, Andrew Lynch wrote:
> So I would like to know why is not minires a part of
> cygwin?  There are numerous packages ported to cygwin
> using it, if I go by the cygwin mailing list.  Is it
> just the lack of someone to package it or is it a
> policy issue?

Here are some possibly bad reasons why I didn't submit
minires as a cygwin package:
1) The package requires standard include files (resolv.h and nameser.h)
that are not part of Cygwin and that can conflict with similarly named
files from other packages (such as bind). If minires was a standard package
the files would go under /usr/include, which could cause mayhem if people
download the package without realizing the consequences.
2) I am not completely happy with the current version. On Win2000 and
XP I would like to interface with the built-in Windows resolver.
Microsoft provides a function, DnsQuery,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dns/dns_api_2ant.asp
whose last argument sounds promising:
pReserved
[in, out] Returned response in original wire format. This parameter
is optional.
Unfortunately I am unable to make it work. This issue is currently
on my backburner, any help is appreciated.
3) Self protection. Interested people must first find the package before
they contact me. That shows that they are serious.
I am glad you found it useful!

Pierre